North Dakota Public Policy Resources
2009 Session Law
2009 Legisltive Report
Contact the NDCAWS/CASAND Legislative Committee
Write a letter to your legislator-
Call your legislator-
- Who you are (include agency name if calling on behalf of agency)
- Where you are from (if calling on behalf of agency, include entire service area, not just where agency is located)
- What you are calling about (be specific, what bill number or budget amendment line item)
- What you want from them (e.g., support for a bill, opposition to a budget cut, action on a proposal).
Visit your legislator-
Your visit should include:
- Who you are and the name of your agency (if you are visiting on behalf of an agency)
- Where you are from and where your agency is located (mention entire service area)
- The issue of concern to you
- What you want from them (e.g., support for a bill, a budget request, action on a proposal)
- Again, be as specific as possible. Always know your bill number(s)!
Testify at a committee hearing-
- Testimony does not need to be long. It should be a maximum of 3 minutes, but can be much shorter than that.
- Before you start writing your testimony or outline, figure out what key point(s) you want to make (no more than 3).
- Start your testimony by saying who you are, the agency you represent (if testifying on behalf of the agency), and where you are from. Mention your entire service area.
- Say why you are there - the bill number, what the bill is about, and whether you are concerned about it or support it.
- Tell them why you are taking that position. This is where you talk about your key points. Include real-life stories from your work (protecting confidentiality, of course!), statistics from your service area, and how this legislation would impact victims and/or the services you are able to provide.
- State what you want them to do (Please oppose or support SB # xxxxx).
- Thank them for their time
National Public Policy Resources
National Network to End Domestic Violence
National Alliance to End Sexual Violence
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Rape, Abuse Incest National Network